Thursday, April 12, 2007

2004 Volkswagen Passat


2004 Volkswagen Passat: Highlights


2004 Volkswagen Passat: HighlightsThe introduction of a diesel engine highlights 2004 for Volkswagen's midsize cars. Passat comes in sedan and wagon body styles. Both offer a choice of four models: GL, GLS, GLX, and W8. All have front side airbags, head-protecting curtain side airbags, and antilock 4-wheel disc brakes.

GL and GLS models share a 170-hp turbo 4-cyl engine. GLX has a 190-hp V6. W8s have a 270-hp 8 cyl. All nonturbodiesel Passats come with manual transmission or a 5-speed automatic. New midyear were GL TDI and GLS TDI sedans and wagons with a 134-hp turbodiesel engine and automatic transmission. Most Passat models have front-wheel drive with traction control. Standard for the W8 and available on GLX and nonturbodiesel GLS is VW's 4Motion AWD. For '04, GLX joins W8 with a standard antiskid system, which remains optional for other Passats. Newly available for 2004 is an OnStar assistance system.



2004 Volkswagen Passat: Review

So far my experience with the Passat are mostly good, with a couple bad things mixed in. I love the comfortable, power heated seats. I love the smooth feel on the road. The digital display on the dash with temperature readout, MPG, Miles remaining in tank ... etc. are a nice touch. If youve driven an newish Audi then you get an idea as to what that is like although the VW version has a couple less features. I liked the way the car looked when i bought it but its really starting to grow on me. I have the silver with the premium wheels and tinted windows and it looks really nice.

What I dont like is the MPG I get in the Seattle area is only around 18 MPG. The V8 mustang I sold was only slightly worse than this. I think the massive weight of the car are too much even for the V6 engine. Acceleration is nice, and smooth although the gas pedal seems to have a dead zone through the first half inch or so before it kicks in.

No comments: